Nairobi, July 27, 2025 — Cabinet Secretary for Education Julius Ogamba has called upon members of Parliament to moderate their public discussions around school capitation funding. He warned that sensational comments are creating unnecessary anxiety among parents and schools.

Speaking during a national event, Ogamba emphasized that his earlier remarks were directed at Parliamentarians—who approve the budget—not at parents. He reassured Kenyans that the government remains committed to supporting free education. “Parents are not supposed to pay school fees, and we will make money available to support them,” he stated.
Ogamba blamed underfunding not on the Treasury, but on Parliament, which he said approved capitation allocations lower than required. Although the policy commits to KSh 22,244 per learner, the actual budget was slashed to KSh 16,900, due to tight fiscal constraints.
Recently, legislators reallocated KSh 5.9 billion from school capitation to cover the cost of administering national examinations in the 2025/26 fiscal year. This has resulted in capitation cuts across secondary, junior secondary, and primary schools.
Educational stakeholders—including KUPPET, school heads, and civil society groups—have raised alarms over delays and cuts, which have forced some schools to suspend essential services or even send students home. KUPPET secretary-general Akelo Misori warned of a looming crisis unless funds are disbursed promptly, noting that only about KSh 4,000 per pupil has been released so far.
Responding to mounting pressure, Principal Secretary Belio Kipsang told Parliament that a supplementary budget request is underway to address the shortfall. He clarified that while the ideal capitation per learner is KSh 22,224, only KSh 17,000 is consistently being released, leaving a widening gap.
Mbadi’s appeal comes amid heightened scrutiny from the Council of Governors, whose CEO Mary Mwiti condemned misleading remarks about unfunded free education, stating they endanger the futures of vulnerable children.
